Apple won’t announce iPhone sales numbers until Tuesday, Oct. 27. Until then, the only way to measure the popularity of Apple’s two new iPhones is to look at usage numbers. Two weeks after the release of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, the handsets are doing well, but not as well as the iPhone 6/6 Plus were doing at this point in 2014, according to Localytics.
As of Friday, Sept. 30, the iPhone 7 accounts for 2.7 percent of the total iPhone market share, compared to 0.9 percent for the iPhone 7 Plus, for a total of 3.6 percent for both handsets. Two years ago, the iPhone 6/6 Plus accounted for 4 percent of the iPhone market after two weeks.
Behind the numbers, Localytics notes:
Even more impressive, the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus gained more adoption between the first weekend and 2 week update than both the ‘6’ and ‘6S’ models. The iPhone 7 jumped from 1% adoption during its first weekend to 2.7% through the first 2 weeks, an impressive growth of 1.7 percentage points. The iPhone 7 Plus increased from 0.2% to 0.9% at the 2 week mark, a notable jump of 0.7 percentage points.
The iPhone 6 increased from 2% to 3.4% and the iPhone 6 Plus increased from 0.3% to 0.6% between the first weekend and 2 week mark. Growths of 1.4 and 0.3 percentage points, respectively.
The adoption rate for iOS 10 is also going well.
Since being released on Sept. 13, iOS 10 has been adopted by 40 percent of eligible devices. This percentage is slightly behind where iOS 9 was at its two-week update, but higher than iOS 8 in 2014.
Localytics notes, “The timeframe for the iPhone adoption data was Sept 16th – Sept 30th at 1 pm. The timeframe for the OS adoption was Sept 13th- Sept 27th.”