1. Karateka | $2.99: Jordan Mechner, creator of the popular Prince of Persia franchise, and developer of the original fighter classic “Karateka” for the Apple II, is today bringing an HD remake of the game to iOS. Available on the App Store now for $2.99 for iPhone and iPad, the remake of the original 1984 fighter looks to essentially be a port of work done on the HD remake released on consoles last month. The video above features Mechner talking about the remake and comparing the original Apple II version to the new iOS title.
Created on an Apple II by Jordan Mechner in his Yale dorm room, Karateka became a #1 bestseller and influenced a generation of gamers with its groundbreaking rotoscoped animation and cinematic cutscenes… 28 years later, Mechner returns to his indie roots with a new take on Karateka for today’s digital game platforms, featuring art by Jeff Matsuda (The Batman) and music by Grammy-winning composer Christopher Tin (Civilization IV).
Powered by Unity, this new first and third-person open-world RPG is said to expand on the massive game worlds the developers are known for with iOS past titles. The game, featuring rag doll physics, flying mounts, horses, and ton of other content, appears to be a promising Elder Scrolls-style, classic RPG adventure.
The makers of SayHi Translate are out with a new twist on their popular translation app with the launch of a “face to face” version of the app dubbed TableTop Translator. As you can see in the demo video below, the new app is designed specifically to translate a conversation among two people sitting or standing across from one another. It features the same speech recognition tech as the developer’s other popular apps and 40 languages and dialects.
Toronto-based Social gaming startup Harth Labs recently released this additive word game starting to get attention on the App Store. As a holiday promotion Say What? is offering 20 free coins everyday for in-app purchases until January 1st.
You don’t need to be Sherlock Holmes to master the art of deduction. Say What combines your mastery of the English language with your keen eye for detail. Every guess gets you closer to becoming the word master in your group of friends.
Developers of popular Snapguide app for creating and viewing step-by-step guides is updating the app to include full support for iPad today. The developers noted in a press release that tens of thousands of users have created guides since launching the iPhone version the app earlier this year. At first glance, the larger display of the iPad appears to be an even smoother experience for the app’s signature step-by-step guides than the initial iPhone release.
- Now on iPad! Enjoy big, beautiful images, magazine style browsing and an easier guide creator.
After impressing us with a slick redesign of its iOS app, cross-platform messaging service imo.im is today releasing a similar revamping of its iPad offering including a “High-quality VoIP feature to call friends”:
* New streamlined design combines messages and contacts for faster chatting
* High-quality VoIP feature to call friends using the imo iPad, iPhone and Android apps
* Group photo sharing and real-time upload of group photos
* New menu with accounts, settings and status
* Status indicator bar in the messaging tab that changes color based on your current status, and a status indicator bar in chat windows based on your contact’s status
IMDb gets a brand new iPad app today alongside new features for both the iPhone and iPad versions:
New iPad features include:
- Tap the plus sign (+) on any movie or TV show poster to add it to your Watchlist
- Sign in to get personalized movie and TV recommendations
- New full-page Watchlist and custom lists with updated sort and edit features
- Top 250 rank added to movie pages
- Tap the history or Watchlist icons to open previews from any page in the app
- Browse featured photo galleries & lists, most popular by genre, and charts
- Tap the IMDb logo to browse from any page in the app
Also new for both the iPad and iPhone:
- iOS 6 users can take advantage of native Facebook sharing
- Filmographies now include TV episode details
- Navigate to the entire image gallery from any photo or poster
4. Over HD version 1.5: We’ve told you about the Over app for adding typography and other fun elements to photos, and today the developers announced the app is now fully iPad compatible alongside a ton of new features:
★ Universal: Fully optimized for iPad with an ergonomic design that makes nearly all actions possible with only your thumbs.
★ New sharing options: share your photos on Flickr, or any other application that will accept photos from other apps.
★ Save high resolution pictures: you will love how crisp and clear the text is now. You can even save it multiple times and the quality is still amazing.
★ New handwritten Fonts, Windsong & Live Simply: Windsong is elegant and timeless, great for poetry and expressing deep emotion. Live Simply was made by an Over user Jamie Cayanong (@jmeelin on Instagram). It is remarkably authentic and works beautifully on almost any photo. It has really fun special character differences between capitals and lowercase. We are super excited to see what you make with both!
★ New photo view: works faster than ever with our new photo selector. ( If you are missing the stock backgrounds you can download higher resolution versions here http://bit.ly/overbgs )
★ Consolidated wheel & square cropping feature: the wheel was getting a little crowded, so we built a simple edit button for sizing, alignment, tinting and now square cropping. We also did this to make space for some exciting pro features that we are working on.
★ Precision font size selector: now you can dial in the size of your font faster, with greater accuracy and broad sizing limits.
★ The BIG pictures: imported DSLR photos can now be used.
★ Text is no longer blurry when trying to use small photos. The app will scale your photo up to ensure that is a clear and legible.
★ Overall stability improved; the app can now handle a larger variety of photo sizes and types.
The Rockmelt browser app comes to iPhone alongside a long list of new features.
An iPhone app designed for your thumb
★ Supports iPhones running iOS 6
★ People like Liking! And LOL’ing and Hmm’ing and Aww’ing great stuff so we made that easier, faster and more fun with an entirely new iPhone-specific interface
★ New tile and sidebar designs optimized for iPhone 5
★ Turn your iPhone sideways for a special surprise
★ New Tintype SnapPak for amazing soul-capturing portraits
★ Bug fixes and stability improvements
☂ Fixes an issue that could cause Hipstamatic to crash on launch
☂ Support the full resolution of the new iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad mini / iPad (4th generation)