Elements Multimedia must have seen a cool trend happening in BlackBerry App World. Because they’ve recently bumped the price of their BlackOut game down to FREE from the original $2.00 asking price!
BlackOut is fun because of the simplicity of a memory game, engaging because you pick the topic of your images and social because you can challenge other players via Twitter.
• Define your own theme of cards to play memory • Top 100 highscores all time are tracked globally • Tweet your highscore, mention the one you beat • Twitter account is optional, single player enabled • 3 Levels of play (easy, medium, difficult) • Worldwide top 100 highscore table per difficulty level • New design of gameplay, smoother transition of the cards • Images are preloaded before gameplay begins
– Continue on enter works now on every step
– Images are preloaded before play starts (no more gray images)
– Improved algoritm to avoid doubles in the images
– Speed improvements: compiled in AIR 2.7
– Full images instead of cropped ones.
– Resolved some minor issues
This is the kind of game I can never put down once I pick it up. The set-up is a breeze. Simply log in your Twitter account (grant access), pick a difficulty level (easy, medium, hard), now pick a theme to use and begin. Remember you can type any word in there you like and BlackOut will use public web albums API of Picasa to download random pictures relating to the theme you choose. But something words (themes) will not generate enough images to compile an actual game. You will just have to think of another word.
The gameplay is everlasting. This is one of the first games on the PlayBook to really integrate social networking into the game. And it works! Every time I see “[insert name] has beat your score on #BlackOut #[insert theme title]. Do you want to challenge your record?” I get a little twitch. And I have to at least try to get my title back. Usually I fail and hide back under my rock, but sometimes I get it back. This style can go on endlessly by either choosing to reply other user high scores in the Global high scores lists, making your own, playing when challenged or just playing offline.
A big win! The game is now FREE all the time. And the more people involved, the better. You have nothing to lose, so grab your copy today and challenge me!!