In The Power of Negative Thinking, legendary coach Bob Knight explains why his
unconventional approach will produce more positive results in sports and daily
life. Drawing on a long and dynamic career as one of the winningest
basketball coaches of all time, Coach Knight challenges conventional theory by
offering an antidote to thoughtless optimism and wishful thinking. Here are 10 essential
insights from the coach's new guide to getting results.
1. Look at this restaurant! No
cars! Easy parking, and we’ll get served right away! Ever notice how often restaurants with bad food do have
lots of room to park?
2. Don’t look a gift horse in the
mouth. Translation: Make those free throws, dammit.
3. One more beer can’t hurt. Unless you’re driving.
4. Don’t count your chickens
before they’re hatched. Or victories before they’re won.
5. Good things come to he who
waits. If he works like hell while waiting.
6. An ounce of prevention is worth
a pound of cure. Tell me that’s not perfect negative thinking.
7. A chain is only as strong as
its weakest link. When you have one, it’s time to substitute.
8. Hindsight is 20/20. And foresight is even better.
9. It’s always darkest before the
dawn. I thought that once or twice...and then woke up.
Everything’s coming up roses. Nice—unless you