Whatever you're after, we've picked a selection of iPad and iPad 2 cases, sorted them by type and tested until we found the best out there.
We've tested each iPad case and scored them out of five so you can see at a glance which ones we recommend.
We kick off with back covers for you iPad, so make sure you've got your iPad's back with one of these stylish shields.
Whether you're after a case for your original iPad or your iPad 2, we've got you (ahem) covered.
01. Cygnett Prism SoundscoopPrice: £11 URL: cygnett.comColours: Blue/Red/White
Unlike many other gel covers, this is tight around the edges and on the back, plus it aims the sound at you better and looks great to boot.
02. Otterbox Commuter Series Price: £24 URL: otterbox.com Colour: Black
It's a bit of a faff to get on and off, but the plastic back shell gives your iPad some added protection against bumps and knocks.
03. Incipio 1337 Price: £25 URL: myincipio.com Colours: Blue/Red/Yellow
Designed for gamers, the pads on the back make your iPad comfier to grip for long periods, but it really needs more padding on the corners to stop them digging into your hands.
04. Ozaki iCoat BubblePrice: £35 URL: ozaki.us/en Colour: White
Protect your iPad without hiding its sleek lines from view. It hugs your tablet nice and tight, but it's pretty expensive compared to many of its competitors on test here.
05. Proporta Mizu Shell Price: From £5 URL: proporta.com Colours: Red/Black/Pink
A great-value translucent gel cover that fits snugly, let down slightly by the fact that the longer edges are a tad on the loose side.
06. Griffin Airstrap Price: £15 URL: griffintechnology.com Colour: Black
Why tire your hand out gripping your iPad when it can grip you? The elasticated strap on the back of this admittedly bulky case feels a bit tight after a while, but what a great idea!
01. Orbyx Leather Folder Case GreenPrice: £27 URL: orbyx.com Colours: Black/Black and Green/Brown and Pink
Great build quality, relatively slim and can sit at a perfect angle for typing. It'll also stand for watching movies, though isn't that stable.
02. Tuff-Luv Bi-Axis Saddleback Price: £36 URL: tuff-luv.com Colours: Black/Pink/Red/Brown/Beige
This well-padded leather case is the only one here that'll stand your iPad in both portrait and landscape, but setting up the stand's a faff.
03. Mophie Workbook Price: £36 URL: mophie.com Colours: Various
It's a bit on the fat side, but it'll stand your iPad at just about any landscape angle for viewing, thanks to its easy-to-use velcro system. Not so great for typing, though.
04. Incipio Premium Kickstand Price: £25 URL: myincipio.com Colours: Black/Grey
If leather's not your thing, this case-cum-stand is made of nylon instead. Brilliant for watching video or giving presentations, but high for typing.
05. Scosche FoldIOPrice: £25 URL: scosche.com Colours: Black/Black and Grey
Beautifully slimline and it grips your iPad like a vice. The foldIO comes in leather- or carbon fibre-texture finishes and will prop your tablet at three landscape viewing angles.
06. Proporta Recycled Leather Case Price: £35 URL: proporta.com Colour: Black/Beige
Where some cases leave the edges of your iPad a bit exposed, this gives great all-round protection, but the one-angle stand is nothing special.
01. iLuv Flex-Gel Case Price: £11 URL: i-luv-uk.co.uk Colours: Black/Blue/Grey/Pink/White
Take your pick from the five colours that this beautifully tight-fitting gel case comes in. Its matte finish means you have a nice amount of grip when you're holding your iPad 2.
02. Cygnett SecondSkin Ink Price: £19 URL: cygnett.com Colour: Black
This dark gel case looks great on the black iPad and we like the design on the back. Our only criticism is that the surface is a little bit slippery.
03. Case-Mate Pop! Price: £25 URL: case-mate.com Colours: Black and Grey/Pink and Grey/White and Grey
A smart gel case reinforced by a plastic shell. There's also a one-angle stand that feels reasonably firm. Like many gel cases, the design means the edges are little on the loose side.
04. Proporta Mizu Shell Price: £25 URL: proporta.com Colours: Grey/Red/White
We really like how the translucent material lets you see the Apple logo through the case, leaving your iPad to shine. Bit loose on the edges, mind.
05. Incipio HivePrice: £21 URL: myincipio.com Colours: Black/Grey/Red
While the Hive adds a fair bit of thickness to your slimline iPad, the hexagonal pattern gives plenty of protection. A shame the sides around the screen are so loose.
01. Apple Smart Cover Price: £35/£59 URL: apple.com/uk Colours: Various
Revolutionary on so many levels: the way it always snaps on perfectly, the automatic sleep/wake thing, the double-stand. But it is ridiculously costly, especially in leather.
02. Speck Pixelskin HD Wrap Price: £32 URL: speckproducts.com Colours: Black/Pink/Blue
A Smart Cover-like front and gel back. Best of both worlds, right? Wrong. The back bit's fine, but the front cover and stand are poor.
03. iLuv Smart Back Cover Price: £25 URL: i-luv-uk.co.uk Colours: Various
If you want the ultimate protection for the back and sides of your iPad against scrapes, look no further. It's slim and nicely finished, too.
04. Incipio Smart FeatherPrice: £30 URL: myincipio.com Colours: Various
Used with the Smart Cover, this ultra-slim and light back protector clips over the hinge, so you can't take the Smart Cover off that easily.
05. SGP Griff For iPad 2 Price: £40 URL: sgpstore.com Colours: Various
It's stylish leather, but the red one here doesn't match the colour of the Smart Cover it's meant to work with, nor does it allow the left corners to sit snug to your tablet's screen.
06. Proporta Hard Shell Back Cover Price: £20 URL: proporta.com Colours: Black/White
Very thin and with a classy, slightly rubberised finish, Proporta's rear protector doesn't protect the top edge as well as the iLuv.
01. Belkin Verve Folio Stand Price: £30 URL: belkin.com Colour: Black
It's stylish, folds into a stable stand that's perfect for watching movies, and it even automatically wakes up your iPad when you open the cover!
02. Booq BooqPad Price: £49 URL: booqbags.com Colours: Various
Expensive and chunky, yes, but it oozes quality from every pore of its leather finish. The built-in notebook makes it perfect for anyone who uses their iPad for work or study.
03. Pro/Tex Executive 03 iPad 2 Case Price: £25 URL: kondor.co.uk Colour: Black
Okay, so it can stand your iPad up in portrait as well as landscape. But it looks horribly cheap and constantly falls down. Don't waste your money.
04. Tuff-Luv Tri-Axis Stasis Series Price: From £32 URL: tuff-luv.com Colours: Various
This comes in several finishes – some leather. The stand's a faff to set up, but very stable in landscape, and it auto-wakes your iPad.
05. Cygnett Lavish EarthPrice: £31 URL: cygnett.com Colours: Beige/Pink
A classy offering that auto-wakes the iPad and has an excellent stand. For other colours, check out the Lavish and Glam on Cygnett's site.
06. Speck Fitfolio Price: £30 URL: speckproducts.com Colours: Black/Red
This is both slimline and gorgeous, with the red version injecting some much-needed verve into a case genre that's dominated by dark colours. No auto on/off, though.
07. Cygnett Rotating Armour Price: £37 URL: cygnett.com Colours: Black and Grey/Black and Orange
Like the Pro/Tec, you can stand your iPad up and rotate it between portrait or landscape. But it's ridiculously unstable. Not good.
01. Incipio Destroyer Price: £30 URL: myincipio.com Colour: Black Works with: iPad 1
Cases don't come much more solid than this: the sides actually bolt on! Okay, so it's weighty and the dock connector's not easy to get at, but if you need protection, get the best.
02. Gumdrop Drop Series For iPad 2 Price: £37 URL: gumdropcases.com Colours: Various Works with: iPad 2
A simple but effective design that incorporates covers for all the ports and switches to prevent unwanted debris getting in. Simple to fit, too.
03. Otterbox Defender For iPad Price: £31 URL: otterbox.com Colours: Various Works with: iPad 1
Not as robust as the Incipio Destroyer, but provides reasonable bump protection nonetheless, and isn't bad in the looks department.
04. Otterbox Defender For iPad 2 Price: £42 URL: otterbox.com Colour: Black Works with: iPad 2
By no means the sturdiest here, and we've yet to come across a case that's as much faff to fit. A no-brainer to go for the cheaper Gumdrop Drop.
01. BE.EZ La Robe Club Edition Price: £25 URL: be-ez.com Colour: Black/Yellow Works with: iPad 1, iPad 2
The Club's tough memory foam tightly hugs your iPad (and Smart Cover and back shell too, if you wish). Lovely looks and solid build.
02. Twelve South Bookbook Price: £60 URL: twelvesouth.com Colours: Beige and brown/Black and Red Works with: iPad 1, iPad 2
Forget the price for a moment and just look at the sheer beauty of this leather iPad case-cum-stand that convincingly looks like a classic tome!
03. SGP Illuzion Price: £45 URL: sgpstore.com Colours: Various Works with: iPad 1, iPad 2
A stylish leather glove for your iPad and Smart Cover. Nice and simple, even though the green one here isn't the same colour as the Smart Cover.
04. Knomo Leather Slim Price: £13 URL: knomobags.com Colour: Brown Works with: iPad 1, iPad 2
An absolute bargain and it's made of real leather too! The fit's snug and you can register it with Knomo so that if someone finds it, you may get it back. But chunky as sleeves go.
Got an iPhone?Download Drippler 2.0
Notify me when Drippler 3.0 comes to iOS.
To Facebook Messenger