Many of us probably remember those great ‘choose your own path’ books from childhood, where at certain points in the story the reader is invited to choose what happens next and directed to continue to story on a certain page based on that choice.
Now, you can get this type of choose your own adventure book for adults, in an app form! The app form means that you don’t have to manually flip to the next “page” of the path you’ve chosen, you just tap on your choice and you’re automatically shown the next part of the adventure. Here are a few to consider (note that typically, those that are ‘free to try’ only allow the reader/player to complete the first couple of chapters and then prompt the reader/player to buy the full book app to unlock the rest, and it’s typically 99 cents to $2.99 for the in-app purchase):
Battle demons and undead attorneys, and win souls to pay back your student loans! At the elite demonic-law firm of Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone, you’ll depose a fallen god, find romance, and maybe even make partner, if you don’t lose your own soul first.
“Choice of the Deathless” is a necromantic legal thriller by Max Gladstone, Campbell Award-nominated author of “Three Parts Dead” and “Two Serpents Rise.” The game is entirely text-based–without graphics or sound effects–and powered by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.
Note: You can play the first part of the game for free. (Beware, it ends on a cliffhanger!) You can purchase the rest of the game inside the app; purchasing the rest of the game will also turn off in-game advertisements.
• Explore a fantasy realm with a rich and evolving backstory, based on the novels published by Tor Books.
• Play as male or female, gay or straight, dead or alive (or both).
• Build your career on carefully reasoned contracts, or party all night with the skeletal partners at your firm.
• Navigate intrigue and mystery in a world of scheming magicians and devious monsters.
• Look for love in at least some of the right places.
• Balance student loans, sleep, daily commute, rent payments, and demonic litigation-hey, nobody said being a wizard was always fun.
Take back your home world from alien invaders! Forge an Intergalactic Alliance (with untrustworthy allies) to reclaim your planet; blast your way to victory with an ever-expanding arsenal. Will you sacrifice civilian lives to exact vengeance on your enemies?
“The Fleet” is an interactive novel where you control the main character. In each chapter, your choices determine how the story proceeds.
Will you return home as a military dictator, a prisoner of war, or the president of a puppet state? Will you even recognize home when you get there?