On Thursday, I ran a simple post that covered 10 of the best iPhone widgets in the App Store. Widget support isn’t new on Apple’s iOS platform, but it’s buried in the Notification Center and so many people have forgotten widgets are even there. While Apple’s implementation of widgets isn’t quite as functional as Google’s widget support in Android, widgets can still add tremendous value to the iOS experience, and yesterday’s post gave you 10 great examples of apps that do just that.
Following that post, I received a number of emails from readers who were excited to find some nifty new iPhone and iPad widgets, but also who wanted to recommend a few additional apps that people might not have heard of. In this post, I’ll share five of the more obscure recommendations I found in those emails — and be sure to keep sending in your recommendations via email or to @zacharye on Twitter.
Unlock your Mac with just your fingerprint, passcode, or wrist – without even unlocking your iOS device.
MacID requires a Mac with Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) running OS X Yosemite or later, and an iOS device with Bluetooth LE running iOS 8 or later. Please make sure your devices support Bluetooth LE before purchasing MacID for iOS.
• MacID works with multiple Macs at once.
• Unlock your Mac using Touch ID, device passcode, and now your wrist with MacID for Apple Watch!
• Apple Watch Glance for super quick access.
• Interactive notifications – you don’t even have to unlock your iOS device.
• Control your Mac’s audio; works with iTunes & Spotify!
• Manually lock your Mac or start the screensaver remotely.
• Auto-lock when you’re away from your Mac.
• Proximity waking and automatic unlocking when returning to your Mac.
• Notification Center widget; unlock your Mac from anywhere on your iOS device.
• Share clipboard text between your Mac and iOS device.
• Choose between MacID’s standard colours or a more high-contrast UI.
• Authorise with Touch ID for tasks like moving protected files to the Trash on your Mac. (Admin accounts only)
With MacID you don’t even need to open the app to unlock your Mac. MacID intelligently notifies you when one of your connected Macs is woken up, which you can authorise and unlock directly from your iOS lock screen using either your fingerprint or passcode.
MacID will even notify you when tasks require your OS X password, like moving protected files to the Trash or changing a setting in System Preferences. (Admin accounts only)
You can also play, pause and skip iTunes & Spotify on your Mac remotely, as well as change the volume. Simply long-press on the audio controls to toggle between track and volume controls. Audio controls work anywhere the physical keys would on your Mac.
Ever needed to quickly share a phone number or piece of text between your Mac and iOS device? Clipboard sharing is built right into MacID; share anything up to 4000 characters. And now you can do it right from the Notification Center.
Enable auto-lock in MacID for OS X and your Mac will automatically lock when your iOS device moves away from it. You can even get notified when your Mac locks itself.
Enable proximity waking in MacID for OS X and your Mac will wake itself when your iOS device gets near. Then simply authorise from the interactive notification MacID sends you to unlock your Mac, or enable automatic unlocking to have MacID do it for you.
MacID includes a handy Notification Center widget, which will show all your currently connected Macs and give you quick access to lock and unlock them from anywhere on your iOS device. You can even start a Mac’s screensaver or share the clipboard; right from the Notification Center!
• Secure: your OS X password never leaves your Mac, and iOS never discloses your fingerprint data or passcode to MacID.
• Trustworthy: MacID doesn’t ever connect to the Internet.
• Simple: designed to be as easy to use as it is beautiful to look at.
• Power friendly: MacID uses the latest Bluetooth Low Energy technology to use as little energy as possible, no matter how much you use it!
• Fast: MacID for iOS and MacID for Apple Watch have been built with speed in mind.
Macs that support Bluetooth LE:
• MacBook Air from 2011 & newer
• MacBook Pro from 2012 & newer
• iMac from 2012 & newer
• Mac Mini from 2011 & newer
• Mac Pro from 2013 & newer
Check if your Mac supports Bluetooth Low Energy by clicking on the Apple menu > About This Mac > System Report > Bluetooth.
MacID for iOS needs to be paired with the MacID for OS X companion app, which you must download from http://macid.co/get
Wdgts is a set of beautiful and incredibly useful widgets tailor made for iOS 8 and Apple Watch.
Wdgts includes the following 10 widgets:
1. App Launcher (up to 4 launch actions in free mode)
2. Contact Launcher (up to 4 launch actions in free mode)
4. Currency Converter
5. Time Zone
7. Photo Frame
8. Network Monitor (part of Premium Pack)
9. Battery (part of Premium Pack)
10. Memory & DIsk (part of Premium Pack)
Watch App includes the following:
1. Calculator – Calculations will be synced with iPhone’s Calculator Widget
2. Currency Converter
3. iPhone Stats
## Premium Pack includes the following additional features ##
– Ability to add more than 4 launch actions
– Ability to copy and paste result from Calculator and Currency Converter
– Add up to 5 times zones
– Add up to 10 photos to phone frame
– Ability to scroll between months in calendar
Overglide, the game widget that lets you play anywhere, anytime, directly from the notification screen and even while your iOS device is locked.
Now with support for iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 devices.
Pilot the paper plane as far as possible while dodging the obstacles and facing ever increasing difficulty. Just touch and hold to glide up and release to fly down. You can quickly access Overglide from the today screen or lock screen to easily try and beat your top score anytime.
• Simply swipe down to start playing
• Accessible from the lock screen
• Simple, fun and challenging gameplay
• Customizable styles
• Game Center leaderboards
• Challenge your friends and share scores on Twitter, Facebook and Weibo