Throughout the entire recall process, it’s been reported that only one exploding device has actually physically harmed someone. On Sunday, the New York Post reported that a 6-year-old boy was playing with a Note 7 when it exploded, causing the family to rush him to the hospital with burns on his body. Many folks around the web became angry toward the boy’s grandfather for not taking away the recalled Note 7 and putting his grandson in danger.
As it turns out, that exploding smartphone wasn't a Galaxy Note 7 after all
As it turns out, that exploding smartphone wasn’t a Galaxy Note 7 after all – it was a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime. In an interview with NBC New York, John Lewis, the 6-year-old boy’s grandfather, said the entire family has Samsung phones and initially told reporters the exploding phone was, in fact, a Galaxy Note 7. The boy’s mother later clarified that the exploding phone was a Galaxy Core Prime, not the recalled Note 7.
This certainly isn’t good news for Samsung, nor does it take away what happened to the Lewis family. Still, this is an important detail. The Galaxy Core Prime has a removable battery and basically no history of battery problems. And while all the details are still trickling in, it’s important to note that there seems to be no relation between the exploding Galaxy Core Prime and the Note 7.
Samsung has reached out to the Lewis family regarding the incident:
We take every report very seriously and have contacted the Lewis family to learn more about their situation. As we are currently looking into this case, we are unable to comment further right now.