The latest reported incident took place in Brooklyn, NY, over the weekend when the Galaxy Note 7 exploded in the hands of a six-year-old boy. The child was rushed to the hospital and treated for burns. He’s recovering at home now, but he’s clearly shaken by the event.
“He doesn’t want to see or go near any phones,” his grandmother told The New York Post. She added that the phone caught fire while he was watching a video, but it’s unclear if it was also charging at the time.
Samsung has said that the defect in the Galaxy Note 7 battery only covers a small percentage of devices, but it’s clearly not worth the risk. The company is encouraging customers to power off the device immediately and return it to the retailer where they purchased the smartphone. The Galaxy-maker also denied reports that it would start remotely disabling copies of the device to protect people, though after this latest incident that doesn’t sound like the worst idea.