When there is no room left in Hell, the dead will walk…the streets of Riverdale? Good news horror fans: Afterlife with Archie is no gimmicky zombie-mashup—rather, it’s one of the best horror comics of 2014. (This is not for kids, folks.)
Lest you think zombies already feasted on our gray matter, note that our editors selected Afterlife with Archie as one of the Best Comics & Graphic Novels for June, and it’s in the same (howling) spirit that we present to you, Kindle Daily readers, the Top 10 Best Things about Afterlife with Archie:Book One:
10. The covers! Artist Franceso Francavilla’s fiendish delight at depicting Archie and the gang in true peril is on full display.
9. Sabrina the Teenage Witch! Black magic is never the answer, kids.
8. Undead Jughead! We should have known that his appetite for colossal burgers would eventually translate to brains.
7. Betty & Veronica! Not even the end of the world can end their love triangle with Archie-kins.
6. Hot Dog! Man’s best friend or mankind’s demise?
5. Vegas! Speaking of dogs, yes, one chapter features the inner thoughts of Archie’s new pet pup. Hilarious idea? Yes. Terrifying executed? Yes.
4. No character left behind! Writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa finds a part for just about every character in Riverdale.
3. The script! Speaking of Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, he freely references Stephen King, Romero’s Dead films, and more classic horror while delivering chills and surprises all his own.
2. Francesco Francavilla! Yes, we already mentioned his talents, but in his already impressive comics career this book marks an artistic high point—and the collection features ample additional artwork.
1. There’s more to come! Afterlife with Archie is an unquiet grave of storytelling, and Book One marks but the first shovelful.