Whether you’re remodeling your entire apartment or just rearranging the furniture, you need tools to help you visualize and plan changes to your home. Can’t be pushing around sofas willy-nilly, now can we?
A good blueprint is the best way to conceptualize home renovation in advance, but making accurate representations of dimensions on paper is a crapshoot. At best, you'll end up spending more hours sweating over a belabored pencil sketch than you’ll actually put into remodeling. At worst, you’ll erase the same shaky lines so many times that the severe friction will cause the paper to catch flame and burn down your home, negating the entire project.
What you need are digital floor plans. Don’t invest in expensive floor plan software; just snag the free and easy-to-use Floor Plan Creator app for Android to start digitally swapping door locations with mere taps and swipes. It’s the most popular blueprint app for Android for good reason.
2. Tap the plus sign at the top of the screen to start creating your first house plan. Tap, hold, and move a single finger to see various parts of the plan; use two fingers to pinch in order to zoom in and out.
3. Scroll through the elements on the righthand side of the screen to create the basic structure of your space. Common structures like square and L-shaped rooms are already generated for you; just tap and drag them onto the white area to add them to your blueprints. Alternatively, you can draw your own freeform room shape using the pencil tool.
4. Tap the dropdown menu on the top left to browse through the elements that you can add to your floor plans: Structure, Doors & Windows, General (like tables and chairs), Kitchen, Bathroom, Electrical, and Fire survey (like alarms and other safety equipment). Tap and drag any element to add it to your blueprint.
5. A single tap on any element already in your plan will highlight it, letting you see its size, change its shape, and rotate it. You can manually enter numerical dimensions for greater accuracy, and lock elements into place once you have them perfectly adjusted.
6. Got a multi-story space? No problem. Hit the “Levels” button at the bottom to add another floor to the blueprints.
7. Floor Plan Creator will automatically save your designs to the storage on your Android. If you’re ready to share them with housemates, your significant other, or just want to brag on Facebook, use the cloud button in the main menu to upload your design so it stays yours forever. The free trial is four days long; after that, you’ll need to pony up a couple bucks to keep using the service.
Tried Floor Plan Creator yet? Go on, share your killer remodeling plans with us in the Comments below. We might even get inspired to push around the office couches ourselves.