Stuck somewhere you really don't want to be? We've all been there, whether it's a dull-as-dirty-dishwater meeting in the office, a painfully awkward Tinder date, or a lunch with the in-laws that feels like it's lasting a lifetime.
If only there were a convincing way to get out of those awkward moments, without having to tell the truth, or hurt anyone's feelings...
Gotta Go! is the app you need to get you out of every social pickle. Easy to use and brilliantly funny, this free excuse-generator from Comedian, Chelsea Handler, lets you arrange a fake text message or call that will give you an excuse to get out of whatever situation you’re in.
Whatever your dilemma, the app will come up with a witty (though not always credible) reason for you needing to leave, including gems like, “My neighbor says a bear broke into my car again,” and “I have to pick up my grandmother from the liquor store.”
2. Browse through the different preset “excuses” which you can set to come from fake contacts via text or voice call. In public, you’ll be able to show other people you’re being contacted by someone real for some urgent reason.
3. To create your own custom alert, tap the Add New button on the main screen. First, pick an emoji to name and represent the excuse. You can also change the background color by tapping Edit Color.
4. Next, you get to pick your “contact.” Tap just underneath the word From to select who you want the call or text message to show up from. The app will generate a photo, a name, and real information about that contact. (Note: This will actually add a real contact to your Address Book even though it’s totally fake).
5. Decide when the call or message comes in to save the day. You can set it up to alert you anywhere from a minute after activation, up to two hours if you know you'll be stuck in a meeting then.
6. Choose to have the app send you either a phone call, a text message or both. Write the text message yourself (up to 140 characters) - and set up multiple messages if you want it to look like you're really being badgered for something important. Once you’re all ready, tap Activate and the timer will begin.
7. Wait for the awkward moment to arrive and, sure enough, your phone will buzz. Answer the call, and you'll find it’s none other than Chelsea Handler herself hilariously guiding you through what you should be saying to the person you’re with. After the phone call ends, you’ll get the text messages.
8. Get out of there - as fast as your legs can carry you!
Which apps come to your rescue when you wish the ground would just swallow you up? Share your survival tips in the Comments.