The Android M developer preview has been released by Google and if you happen to have a Nexus device then you already know what time it is: update time!
In this video, I’ll show you how to update any Nexus device to the Android M Developer Preview downloaded from Google. Keep in mind, there will be bugs, glitches, etc. as will all of these type of previews, but if you’re as anxious to try out the latest version of Android on your device as I am, it’s a small price to pay.
I. Before You Begin
1. This will erase your device so be sure to backup all of your photos, contacts, data, before you get started.
2. This only works for the Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, and Nexus Player (as that’s the only previews they’ve released).
II. Enable Developer Mode
1. On the device, go to Settings > About Phone.
2. Tap on Build Number repeatedly until it says you are a developer.
3. Hit back.
4. Tap on Developer Options.
5. Turn on USB debugging.
III. Download and Setup the SDK & Android M Preview
1. Download the SDK Tools for your OS, install it, and open it.
2. Under tools, select SDK Tools, Platform-tools, and Build-tools.
3. Select everything under Android M Developer Preview section, and the Google USB driver, and click Install packages.
4. Accept the Licensing Agreement for all of the packages and click Install.
5. Download the correct version of the preview for your device below: