This is a seriously cool mod for the Nexus 6, bringing the awesome Knock On functionality from greats like the LG G2 and LG G3. Believe it or not, the Nexus 6 already has the capability for double tap to wake built in, but for some reason Google decided not to switch it on. That's OK though, because today we'll show you how to get Knock On for the Nexus 6.
Note: You don't need to be rooted for this mod to work (see instructions below for non-rooted devices). It's a much easier process if you are rooted though - and the Nexus 6 is a breeze to root - so we'll show you that method first. As far as I can tell you won't take a hit in battery life either.
How to get double tap to wake on Nexus 6 (with root)
How to get double tap to wake on Nexus 6 (without root)
I haven't checked this process and I don't quite see how it works without root, but the friendly folk on XDA Developers seem to have had some success (props to qwerp_ for figuring this one out). All you need to do for this mod is to switch one file for another on your Nexus 6.
For this method, you'll need an unlocked bootloader. You can do that with the app below.
1. Install a file manager on your Nexus 6. We recommend ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer.
2. Navigate to the following directory on your Nexus 6 and check the permissions of the following file: /system/lib/hw/power.shamu.so
3. Once you've made a note of the permissions, copy the file. Paste the copied file somewhere safe in case you want to get rid of double tap to wake in future.
4. Download the following zip file on your Nexus 6 and unzip it. You'll see a file called power.shamu.so
5. Copy that file and paste it over the top of the file with the same name in the following directory: /system/lib/hw/
6. Make sure you haven't just pasted two versions of the same file into the directory. You want to replace the old one with the new one (with the extra bit of code in it).
7. Check the new file's permissions and ensure they are the same as the original file.
8. Reboot your Nexus 6 and enjoy double tap to wake.
Have you got Knock On on your Nexus 6? What other features would you like to see ported over?