Airfare pricing is highly complex, totally opaque, and designed by the airlines to bamboozle us poor, defenseless travelers into panic booking a flight (and parting with a lot more cash than we ought to).
Yep, there's all sorts of tricks and tips that you can apply to try and outfox them: book on a Tuesday, don't travel on a Friday, fly at crap times, book international flights 5 months before, don't click reserve if it's a Thursday and the moon is in Uranus... (ok, maybe not the last one).
But how can you possibly be expected to mentally juggle all of that info? I mean, some days, it's hard enough remembering to put your shoes on before you leave the house.
No, what you need is an app that takes all of the guesswork, head scratching, and mystery out of booking a flight. You want an app that will tell you exactly when and where to book a flight to get the best deal. You want Hopper.
Hopper uses data sets comparing billions of flight prices to help you find the right destination for your budget. By continuously monitoring the routes you're interested in, the app will alert you when fares go down, if they're about to increase, and when flight prices are at their predicted lowest points. Get in there and buy plane tickets at discounts of up to 40% (so the Hopper devs claim).
Here's how to predict the cheapest time to book a flight with your iPhone
1. Install and open Hopper for iPhone, and grant it permission to access your location and send you notifications (you can also do this by going to the Settings menu on your iPhone, then to Notifications , then Hopper , and then switching to Allow Notifications).
2. Enter the location you're traveling from along with the destination.
3. On the Dates tab, study the overview of the next 6 months to get an insight into the cheapest times for your desired route. Dates marked in green are the cheapest, dates marked in red are the most expensive.
4. Tap on the Prediction tab, then on Enter dates to input the exact dates you wish to travel. Check out the Price Prediction result e.g. "You should wait for a better price, but book before September 30."
5. Tap on Watch This Trip to be notified if the price drops, and before it rises.
6. When you've seen the flights you want, select them, add your details, pay, and get packing - you're headed up, up, and away!
What are your favorite apps for finding cheap flights? Do you have an tips and tricks to share? Brag about them in the Comments.