Every single day, hundreds of people upgrade their smartphones to a shiny new model. Most of them don't know what to do with their old friend now relieved of duty, and they usually end up throwing it into a drawer where it will probably die slowly, condemned to oblivion.
Don't do that, please. Give your old smartphone a new opportunity to keep being useful.
However, if you want to keep it useful in your own life, here's one awesome way: turn it into a surveillance camera complete with motion sensor.
Leave the toolbox in the garage: the only thing you need to make it happen is an app like Athome camera. This app allows you to easily capture and broadcast video and watch it from another device. With this functionality, you can have a security, baby, nanny or pet cam without having to buy an expensive setup.
2. Follow the steps to install the AtHome Video Streamer in your desktop computer (PC or MAC) or on your mobile device (Android or Apple). This is a client app where you'll be able to watch the broadcasted video.
3. Launch the client app and tap on "Create QR Code". Scan it using the built-in QR scanner. Now both devices are connected.
4. Set up preferences based on your needs: schedule recording, enable/disable motion sensor, notifications, etc.
5. When you are ready, start recording/broadcasting.
6. Congratulations! You can now keep an eye on the things you care about the most, thanks to AtHome Camera and that old, rusty device you were about to cast aside. How cool is that?
Did you know you could use your old mobile device as a surveillance camera? If you know any other tricks to keep using your old device after upgrading to a new model, suggest them in the Comments below.