A major new feature of iOS 8 is Family Sharing. This feature allows families to share content and iCloud services with each other. In Part 1 of this guide we looked at how to use Family Sharing in iOS 8 to share purchased content like apps, books, movies, and TV shows. In Part 2 we take a look at how to share photos, calendars, and locations using Family Sharing.
We went over all the requirements in Part 1 of our Family Sharing guide, so be sure to check out the full details here. The super short version, however, is make sure you’ve set up a Family Organizer and then added members to your Family Sharing group. Every member of the Family Sharing plan must have an iCloud account and all devices on the Family Sharing plan (iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads) must be running iOS 8 or above.
Unsurprisingly one of the most popular features of Family Sharing is the ability to easily share photos with all members of your family. Apple makes this dead simple by automatically creating a photo album called “Family” in the Photos app of every device owned by a family member in a Family Sharing group. Here’s how you can take advantage of the Photo Sharing feature:
1. First make sure iCloud Photo Sharing is turned on on all devices. Do this by going to Settings > iCloud > Photos > iCloud Photo Sharing and toggle the switch to ON (green).
2. Open the Photos app on your iOS device and tap the Shared button at the bottom of the screen.
3. Scroll down until you see the album called “Family” and tap it.
4. Inside this Family album will be any pictures or videos other family members have already added.
5. To add your own picture or video take or record one with your camera and then go back into the Family album and tap the + button in the album.
6. A grid of all your photos and videos will pop up. Select as many as you want (a blue checkmark will appear over selected media) and then tap “Done”. Those photos have now been added to the Family album and will be pushed to the Family album on all Family Member’s devices.
7. You can like a photo by tapping the smilie face while viewing the photo or add a comment by tapping the “Add a comment” button. All likes and comments can be seen by the whole family.
It can be hard to keep everyone’s diaries arranged when you’ve got a packed house and each kid has different events they need to go to (dance practice, friend’s birthday, football league) and mom and dad also have their own events like work and planning family holidays. That’s why Apple has built in Calendar sharing into iOS 8’s Family Sharing features. Here’s how to take advantage of the Family Sharing calendar:
1. Open the Calendar app on your iOS device.
2. Tap the “Calendars” button at the bottom of the screen. A Calendar list will pop up and every member of a Family Sharing group will see a shared “Family” calendar. Below its title you’ll see a list of the names of the family members it is share with.
3. To view an event in the Family calendar simply tap on it.
4. To create a new event tap the + button and then select “Family” from the Calendar menu. Enter a name for your event and its date, time, and any other pertinent information.
5. When done, tap the “Add” button. Your event will now be shared with all members of your family via the Family calendar.
6. Don’t want Junior to be able to add or delete events? The Family Organizer can tap the “i” button next to any event and edit the list of family members that are allowed to create, change, or delete events.
Family Sharing also allows you to share a shared Reminders list. This reminders list will appear on every family member’s devices. Here’s how to take advantage of the Family Sharing reminders list:
1. Open up the Reminders app on your device.
2. You’ll see a shared reminders list called “Family”. Tap it.
3. Add any new reminders on this list you want everyone in your family to be alerted to. When creating a reminder start typing in a few words on the list and then tap the “i” button. Set the date and time of the reminder and also other metrics like priority or location. Tap “Done” when finished.
4. The reminder will be added to the shared “Family” Reminders list and every family member will receive a notification for the items on that list when the time comes.
The last feature of Family Sharing is the ability to share your location with family members and view everyone else’s location. In Part 1 of this guide we showed you how to enable location sharing when setting up Family Sharing on your devices. Make sure you’ve done that then follow these steps to track your family’s location:
1. To see where all of your family is at a glance, open the Find My Friends app.
2. Inside the app you’ll see a list of all your family members. Their locations will also be shown on the map.
3. Tap on any one person’s name to get a more detailed view of their whereabouts.
4. When viewing a family member’s details page in Find My Friends, tap “Notify Me” get get a push notification when the family member leaves or arrives at a location (like school).
5. If you don’t want anyone in your family to see where you are got to Settings > iCloud > Share My Location and toggle the switch to OFF (white).
6. You can also open up the Find My iPhone app and see a list of all your family member’s devices. Select one from the list to locate it.