There is absolutely no reason to keep sticking those reminder Post-Its on the fridge in a fruitless attempt to get your housemate to pick up the milk. That's ineffective, boring, old-fashioned, and downright wasteful. What will your mother think?
I bet your tech-savvy mom already uses Grocery Shopping List by Capitan. Seriously, ask her how great it is to be able to collaborate on lists in real time. Share lists with whoever you want and they'll be synced immediately, so you'll never accidentally double up on the Pringles ever again.
The app learns where you are when you swipe items off your list, so next time you get near that great little sausage shop, you'll automatically get a ping reminding you to pick up a couple andouille beauts. Even better: everyone you've shared the list with will ALSO get a ping if they get close, meaning - that's right - the milk shall be picked up without you ever lifting a finger. Thanks, apps.
2. Allow the app access to your location and to run in the background.
3. Hit the plus sign in the top righthand corner to create your first list. The obvious choice is straight-up groceries, but use whatever you like.
4. Type in what you need to add items to your list. Use the suggestions in the colorful tags below to get inspired; these will become customized according to your input over time.
5. As soon as you start typing, Capitan will suggest possible tags from its database. Your items will automatically be sorted by type - marjoram and paprika go into Spices, greek yogurt and butter go into Dairy & Eggs.
6. If an item isn’t in the Capitan database - it doesn’t know “buttermilk” or “durian” - you can quickly categorize it by swiping left, tapping “Categorize,” and selecting the correct category (“Cleaning Products,” “Frozen Food,” “Snacks & Sweets,” etc.).
7. Share the list with your family/housemates/significant other by tapping the top righthand icon of an avatar with a + sign. Connect to Facebook and/or your contact list to quickly share the list with anyone you know.
8. When you go to the store, just pull up the list as you roam the aisles. Swipe right to check items off the list as you grab ‘em. The list will update in real-time across everyone’s device, which means that you can potentially slash your grocery time in half if you’ve got two people on the job at once. The categories mean that you’ll remember to grab the ice cream at the same time as the tater tots, too.
9. Handily, you’ll get an alert when anyone you’ve connected to through the app is getting near to a grocery store (and so will they). The app’s smart about poking you with reminders to pick up the milk, too - if you normally get it from a certain place, you’ll only get that ping when you’re nearby that location. AI-enhanced groceries, anyone?
I don't even really like milk. Have you used Capitan to great effect? Or do you prefer the ol' Post-it on the fridge method of reminders? Tell me all about your daily minutiae in the Comments below.