Your mom told you eight glasses a day. The internet tells you half a gallon. The TV tells you things go better with Coke.
You gotta keep hydrated, man. Our bodies are made up of 65% water. Deplete that and you'll shrivel up like a decrepit raisin. Gross.
No but seriously: the symptoms of dehydration are insidious. You might not even feel thirsty, but without enough water, your body functions will slow way down. You'll get headaches easily, and you might feel dizzy or even nauseous. You'll be listless, low on energy, and basically a hollow shell of a human being.
If you need help remembering to drink enough water and you miss Tamagotchis, have I got an app for you. Adopt a garden full of adorably sentient plants that drink water along with you with the Plant Nanny app for iPhone. Because you'll constantly go back to the app to tend to your seedlings, you'll be reminded to drink water all day long in the cutest, most gamified way possible.
2.Scroll down through the tutorial and tap "Start Watering!"
3. Select your preferred units of measurement (mL or oz), then enter your weight (in kg or lbs) and your level of activity (sedentary, regular, or active)
4. Choose your plant! You'll see an übercute variety to choose from. Some you'll recognize (dandelion) while others appear to be from parallel universes (mushrimp). You need to earn or purchase "seeds" in order to unlock some plants. Notice that each has a different difficulty level, indicating how much attention they need. Change the flowerpot to suit your personal sense of aesthetics. Name your plant if you like.
5. Open the cup container by tapping the bottom of the screen. Scroll through the various sizes of cups, from a coffee mug to a nalgene-esque water bottle. Notice that they have different ranges of volume (in mL and oz) on the bottom. Tap "Create."
6. Long press on the cup to feed the plant whenever you drink that quantity of water. Yum!
7. Careful - if you try to drink all your daily water at once, the app will tell you to sloooow down. It's a game, but it's also common sense: you've got to be smart about how you hydrate!
8. Check out your daily stats by tapping the pie chart in the top righthand corner. You'll see how much water you've drank today, plus how much more water your plant needs to level up. Check out your water history as well as any achievements you've unlocked.
Honestly, I tend to kill plants in real life, but I drink water like a fish. This might be the wrong app for me. But if you've got a green thumb and a parched throat, take a snapshot of your fully grown mushrimp and pimp it out in the Comments below.