Phones that explode are unfortunately not new as we have seen several instances in the past where phones explode suddenly and unexpectedly. This is usually due to the use of the lithium-ion batteries which when overheated to dangerous levels can swell and eventually explode, sometimes even causing a small fire in the process.
It seems that over in India, it has been reported that an iPhone 6 exploded. This is according to a report from The Times of India where a man by the name of Kishan Yadav claims that while he was on the phone with a friend, he noticed that his phone became extremely hot and saw sparks coming out of the phone.
He then threw the phone out of his car window when it exploded as soon as it hit the ground. According to Yadav, he claims he was lucky as he was using the speakerphone function otherwise his face could have gotten burnt, or worse. It is unclear as to what was the cause of the explosion as typically in such cases, an unauthorized third-party charger is used.
Yadav was then directed to the Apple service center where he deposited his phone with them, and with the staff telling him that they will investigate the issue and get back to him. However Yadav has since filed a police complaint over the incident.