The iPhone 6 Plus is a big hit, but according to research by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (via MacRumors), it's the smaller iPhone 6 that's the big hit in the United States. Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone is outselling its big brother by 3 to 1, the firm reports, based on data pulled from the first 30 days the phone was available for purchase.
The report also stated that the iPhone 6 represented 68 percent of all iPhone sales in that period, with the iPhone 6 Plus accounting for 23 to 24 percent. That means that the two phones together accounted for around 92 percent of all iPhones sold in the country at that time, with the remaining 8 percent or so consisting of older generation iPhones such as the 5s.
It's important to note that the data don't necessarily mean that the iPhone 6 Plus is frowned upon over on this side of the pond. The larger version is heavily in demand, a trend which caused Apple to pull back on production on the smaller size and focus on the bigger version. As a result, many customers likely opted for the more readily available iPhone 6. CIRP says the iPhone 6 Plus could still "exceed expectations, especially in Asia."
Together, the two iPhones represent Apple's most successful iPhone launch to date. Over 10 million units were sold on the launch weekend alone, and 4 million of those phones were preorders.