A couple of weeks ago, we reported that an iPhone 6 in India had exploded, and unfortunately it looks like it was not an isolated case. According to a report out of Hong Kong, it turns out that a woman with an iPhone 6 Plus experienced a similar explosion, but thankfully there were no injuries as she managed to get out of the situation unscathed, at least physically.
According to the woman, she was charging her phone while sleeping and was woken up by a loud bang and a burning iPhone. She claims that she was using an official iPhone charger which means that technically there should not have been any such problems. Previously exploding phones and batteries were usually attributed to using third-party chargers.
She is now seeking compensation from Apple over the issue. So how did this happen, you ask? Well Lo Kok-Kung from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University said that it could have been a result of a short-circuit or overcharging. Lo said, “The auto power cut-off feature of the handset for charging could have been out of order, hence the battery was overcharged and exploded due to excessive heat.”
In any case we suppose the phone will need to be inspected by Apple’s engineers to figure out what went wrong specifically, but in any case it seems unlikely that this is a widespread issue considering that the millions of iPhones that have been sold versus the number of such cases happening.