There is no question that news readers make up a category of apps that is completely flooded. On one hand, this is great because it gives people plenty of choices that offer all sorts of different functionality. But it also means that you might never find the perfect news app for you because there’s just so much clutter to dig through.
I have a few different apps that I consider my go-to news reader apps on iOS and Android, but now there’s a new one to add to the list, and it became one of my favorites immediately.
News readers typically do a few things well and a few things very poorly, which is why users tend to rely on more than one app for their news. Personally, I use an RSS reader to follow the main news sources I read regularly — Fiery Feeds on the iPhone and Press on Android — and then I use the list feature in Twitter apps as well as a few other apps such as Flipboard and NYT Now.
Now, I have a new app to add to that list.
Instead of trying to hit all of the important notes in a news reader, IIIN focuses on one thing alone: showing you news that is currently trending on social networks, organized by popularity. Only a handful of news organizations and blogs are covered by the app, so the user isn’t overwhelmed. You can also narrow the stream down to a specific category, such as business news or entertainment news.
Also, unlike many other trending news apps, you won’t see the same story 47 times when it breaks.
There are a few things I don’t like about the app. For example, it would be great to exclude news sites and blogs that I never want to see. I’d also like the option to add sites that I do want to see covered in the app. Overall though, it’s a great option for people who want to see what’s trending at any given moment in a sleek and simple interface.
IIIN’s full description follows below, along with a link to download it from the Google Play store. The app is Android-only right now, though the developer has told BGR that an iOS version will launch soon.
IIIN is perfect app to track most recent trending news. Every hour, we collect what people are talking about all over web, blog, social networks then identify trending events, stories, information, videos and organize them in categories. IIIN is also integrated with many social features, making it become a network of news.
IIIN tackle two fundamental problems of traditional publisher and social news. On one hand, official news website rank their content based on editors’ perspective, not the audiences. In some case, however, they will not reveal what users are really interested about or some sensitive events (political stuff for example). On the other hand, news that has been viral on social networks (Facebook and Twitter) are biased toward entertainment, showbiz life, weird stuff and not well-categorized. Those are reasons why we introduce IIIN – Trending news
★IIIN stands for: interesting, integrated and interactive news★
• Interesting: All the news we provide are shared and discussed by thousand to hundred of thousands people on internet and social network. It’s often a controversial issue or a touching story that draw massive amounts of attention. In other words, they are all worth reading.
• Integrated: We show you updated statistic of each articles about how viral it is currently (how many shares, comments), then you could easily select what to read. In addition, comments and opinions about the news are also available.
• Interactive: IIIN is great place to share your thoughts, feeling about currently trending events. By Facebook or Twitter logging in, you are conveniently able to like news articles, share stories to your Facebook or Twitter walls. Particularly, we focus much effort on comment sections which is perfect to enjoy discussing.
• Simple view version with only well-formated text (along with original web version)
• Share, like news article by logging in Facebook or Twitter
• Joining comment section by logging in Facebook (without logging in, you just can read comments)
• Save article to read later on offline mode
• Delivery everyday, you could specify delivery options(notifications, delivery time) on settings screen