A report out of China claims a Samsung Galaxy S 4 burst into flames while the owner, a gentleman identified as Du, was playing a game. At the time, Du had the device plugged into the wall. When the unit burst into flames, it was such a surprise to Du that he tossed it away. Unfortunately, he tossed it onto his couch which apparently was highly flammable. The resulting conflagration destroyed Du’s house. The good news is Du, his wife, and their pets escaped with only Du suffering some minor burns on his hands that did not require a trip to the hospital.
Does that sound like a legit story to you? Many are questioning Du’s authenticity, especially his claims that the battery and charger were both the original Samsung parts. Reports of Samsung device fires usually reveal aftermarket batteries or other parts are to blame. Samsung has indicated they will assist with a full investigation, including a chemical analysis to determine whether the battery was a genuine Samsung part. If the parts are truly Samsung parts, the company will need to work quickly to figure out why this happened and fix it. If the parts were not really from Samsung, they can use that info to deal with the public relations heat they will be subject to.
Are you worried your Galaxy S 4 may be too hot to handle?