A Long Island man said he was simply bending over to pick up his keys when his PHONE EXPLODED. No, but seriously, a guy named Erik Johnson says his iPhone spontaneously combusted in his pocket, literally setting his leg on fire. It’s a tale no smartphone owner ever wants to go through, but Johnson survived the nightmare ordeal, spending 10 harrowing days in the burn unit.
According to Johnson, he didn’t do anything out of the norm to make his phone explode—it just did.
“I had the phone in my pocket, simple little gesture, bent over to get keys and all I heard was pop,” Johnson explained to ABC7. “Ssssssssh smoke coming out. And just like an instant burn.”
Johnson described the ordeal in further detail, saying he tried taking his fiery phone out of his pocket, but it melted the pockets shut. “I had to rip my pants off and throw the pants to the side,” Johnsaid said. “A couple of people actually said they could smell my body burning.” He likened the experience to a bull getting branded. An Apple logo unceremoniously burned right into his leg right then and there.
“I just want my leg back to what it was, you know?” Johnson said.
A very reasonable request for such a traumatizing incident. Johnson suffered from second- and third-degree burns on his inner thigh, and needs bandages covering the infected area changed by a nurse twice a day.
Situations like this are usually caused by faulty third-party accessories, though Johnson said he uses the charging cable that came with his device.
Apple is investigating the incident, ABC7 News said.