Owning a Nexus 7 can be exciting, unless you’re Baidu forum user hong_999999 who left her tab to charge, and came back to it later to find it melted and smoking out the office.
“A tragedy My Nexus 7 caught fire in the early hours of the morning. The room was full of black smoke, unbreathable, but fortunately no fire. Beware all eh! Even you have had a similar experience? What may have caused the spontaneous combustion of the tablet? Warranty covers this kind of damage? “
Unfortunately there’s not a lot right now on specifics of how this occurred, nor have I heard of any other circumstances where an N7 has tried to catch fire while being charged. It’s obvious this thing tried to broil itself, but hopefully soon more info will be released on what exactly happened. The user claims they used the factory charger, and that it was all treated correctly. Let’s be honest, it’s not the first time a user has claimed that their phone for no reason tried to go en fuego, only to be determined there was user negligence later on.
As you can see, the damage is pretty bad to the N7. The battery cooked up so badly that you can barely see the Nexus logo on the back panel. It almost looks like someone shoved the thing in a microwave just to see what would happen. Maybe the user really confused it for a TV dinner? It wouldn’t be the first time someone claimed this, and a microwave was determined to be the culprit after.
At the least, we can be glad no one was injured from this one, regardless of how it happened. According to the user, they were able to contact ASUS support and got a replacement sent out.
Again, nothing has been confirmed on how legit this is and if there was any actual fault of the device. Let’s not go panicking and throwing away your N7, or clutching a fire extinguisher every time you charge it.