The Nexus 7 has been one of the smokin' hot tablets of 2012, and unfortunately for one user in China, that was literally the case.
A Nexus 7 well done. (click for full size)
(Credit: Baidu) The user posted the photo above to a forum on Baidu (China's home-grown answer to Google), claiming that the device began smoking while plugged in and charging on its original factory charger. In the process, the guts of the tablet seem to have been totally torched.
To me -- and likely anyone else who has had the experience of ruining an electrically powered product thanks to the wildly unpredictable and sometimes surging electrical grids of other countries -- this sounds like an infrastructure fail. However, we have seen enough reports of malfunctioning, overheating, and even ... [Read more]