Way back in November of 2012 we reported on the development studio Origin8 who were in the midst of developing the fourth installment into their Sentinel franchise called Sentinel 4: Dark Star. Since then we have had a few bits of information released here and there about the Android version's progress. Today we get to finally stop waiting and get our hands on Sentinel 4: Dark Star.
For those of you not familiar with the Sentinel franchise, this is a series of tower defense games that are pretty awesome to play. There are two great tower defense franchises available for mobile, there is the Anomaly franchise (which is more tower offense than defense) and then there is the Sentinel franchise. You have a blending of great gameplay and visuals all meshed into one title.
Sentinel 4: Dark Star Features:
• A huge campaign across 26 unique maps, each also playable in Endless mode.
• Defend massive, multi-screen landscapes and marathon paths.
• A bestiary full of new and returning enemies. Their special abilities and varied behaviour will keep even veteran players on their toes.
• The aliens fight back with the ability to damage, disable and destroy towers. How will you choose to counter them?
• Pick your loadout from an extensive assortment of weaponry. Unlock Uber Towers that pack power to match their size.
• Deploy your own units onto the path to hinder attackers.
• Call in support from the skies with the Sentinel's trademark ship weapons.
• Unleash drones, nukes and more from your new improved Stronghold.
• Control Commander heroes to back up your defences. Earn experience and level up to gain powerful new abilities.
• Real-time dynamic lighting and shader effects bring atmosphere to the alien landscape for the best Sentinel experience yet.
• Google Play Saving enabled.
• Google Play Services for leaderboards and achievements.
• Spend your earnings on a massive selection of persistent upgrades to support your play style and complement your tactics.
• Upload your score to the Global Nexus and contribute to the worldwide cooperative push for rewards.
What you can expect to find inside Sentinel 4: Dark Star are new towers and technology to use against your enemies that are now, unfortunately, smarter and even more deadlier. This means you are going to really need to plan your defenses well or you won't succeed too far into the game.
For those of you who are fans of the Sentinel franchise, this is pretty much a must buy. Either way though, picking up a copy will set you back a mere $2.99 which, for a game of this quality, is a pretty good price. Expect a full review to arrive shortly.