While I am absolutely in love with my Galaxy Note II, one area that I have had consistent issues with is accessories. There are a lot of choices as far as cases go for this phablet, but I must be honest — they’re mostly terrible. From ill-fitting rubberized and silicone “condom” cases to bulky, heavy and pocket-liner-ripping tankesque cases, there just aren’t a lot of options that are both attractive andprotective.
Then I stumbled across this story. Thanks to the unfortunate drop of his own Note II and his most fortunate choice in an aluminum bumper case, I decided to pick one up for myself.
This is the ZuGadgets Premium Aluminum Alloy Metal Protective Skin Case Cover Bumper. Whew. That is a mouthful and then some.
It is by far the most ridiculous and unnecessary title I’ve ever seen given to a mobile phone accessory, so if you can one-up that with a longer title, I’d love to hear about it.
Let’s run through the pro’s:
- It is nice and light, and adds very little bulk to your phone. The finish on the bumper itself seems to be anodized, so it doesn’t slide around or slip in your palm. The Note II is all gloss and no grip, so having this bumper on the device makes it much, much easier to hold.
- The cutouts for the s-pen, micro USB port, and headphone jack line up great. There are also two smaller cutouts for the mic on the top and the mic on the bottom. I found that I had no complications pulling out the s-pen, plugging in my charger, or plugging in headphones.
- It is lovely to look at. …Yeah, I’m vain like that.
And now for the con’s:
- This case is very snug. While that is not a bad thing, it is something that you should take notice of when putting the case on. You pop your Note II into the larger piece of the bumper, then you slide the smaller piece in from the bottom of your phone until it clicks in at the top. Since this is an aluminum case, that means you are sliding a piece of metal up along that giant 5.5″ glass display. I don’t think I need to further explain how you could scratch your screen if you’re not careful.
- When it comes to metal cases and bumpers, you run into possible connectivity issues. I’ve perused some of the user reviews, and it seems inconclusive. Some claim to having lost two or three cell bars, some claim to have no LTE signal whatsoever, and others claim that they haven’t had any problems getting a strong signal. After using this case for two days, I can say that I haven’t struggled to get or keep a signal, on wifi or on HSPA+. That being said, it’s something to weigh before purchasing, and the results might also be dependent on which carrier you buy service from.
All in all, I really like this bumper case. It is light, sleek, and form-fitting, which is exactly what I was looking for. Whether or not that’s what you are looking for is something you must decide for your own dang self.
The ZuGadgets Bumper can be found on Amazon, and the prices vary, depending on what color you pick. It comes in black, silver, champagne, purple, pink, dark blue, sky blue, red, green, and gold. Each color is under its own listing, which is an odd thing. Also odd, is that if you go to their website, they have no cases listed under the “Galaxy Note II” section. I can’t make sense of that either.