Samsung has ended all production of the literally explosive Note7 after several reports of replacements for the originals were also exploding. It follows rapid developments that included airlines again ordering passengers to turn the phones off and word the company was temporarily ceasing production and shipment of the Note7 on Monday.
The report of a full shutdown comes from the New York Times, which cited an anonymous source who claimed Samsung had told the South Korean stock exchange they had made a “final decision” to cease production of the phone.
“We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note7,” the company said in a statement early Tuesday. “Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place.”
US regulators have already issued their own recall according to the Los Angeles Times. According to the Verge, at least five replacement Note 7s have suffered this fate so far.
“We remain committed to working diligently with appropriate regulatory authorities to take all necessary steps to resolve the situation. Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available.”
The decision was taken after replacement phones also began to fail in the same spectacular fashion as the original devices. One cooked off on board a Southwest Airlines flight, forcing an evacuation, and leading to a ban of the Note 7 on all Southwest planes. The phone is also now banned on several Australian airlines as well.