Samsung Australia has today announced the price and availability of the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 in Australia, to be exclusively sold at JB Hi-Fi stores at a RRP of $599. The Galaxy Mega 6.3 will also be available at that price from any of the Samsung Experience Stores in either Sydney or Melbourne.
When we first saw the Galaxy Mega 6.3, we were a bit sceptical; it seemed a lot like a way for Samsung to cash in on the mid-range market that didn’t have a phablet presence with a phone who’s specifications didn’t exactly set the world on fire. Though when you really look at the Galaxy Mega 6.3, with its 1.7GHz dual-core processor and Android 4.2.2, it actually comes off as a slightly more budget, but more updated Galaxy Note 2. And that’s definitely not a bad thing considering the Note 2 is waiting for any sort of an update from Android 4.1.2.
Whatever your stance on phablets, the Galaxy Mega 6.3 is in a market of its own right now, so we’ll see if it makes an impact around the world. Are you going to get a Galaxy Mega 6.3? Let us know if you are in the comments.
Official Press Release
Samsung Electronics Australia Introduces the GALAXY Mega
Available exclusively through selected JB Hi-Fi stores+
SYDNEY, Australia, August 28, 2013 – Samsung Electronics Australia Pty Ltd today announced the Australian availability and pricing of the Samsung GALAXY Mega, a device that combines the portability and convenience of a smartphone with the power, multitasking capabilities and extensive viewing experience of a tablet.
Available exclusively at selected JB Hi-Fi stores across Australia and Samsung Experience Stores, the newest addition to the GALAXY family balances an optimal viewing experience on a 6.3-inch HD screen, yet is ultra-thin and portable enough to put into a pocket or hold in one hand. The GALAXY Mega offers a mix of popular smartphone and tablet features such as an effortless user experience, a split screen, multitasking between video and other applications.
“With the success of the GALAXY Note range, there is growing demand in Australia for devices that offer the portability and connectivity of a smartphone with the features and productivity of a tablet,” said Tyler McGee, Vice President – Telecommunications, Samsung Electronics Australia.
“With the launch of the GALAXY Mega, Samsung is continuing to offer consumers more of what they want, with a smartphone featuring a stunning 6.3-inch HD screen. The GALAXY Mega is the perfect choice for any consumer seeking a device that is the perfect blend of Samsung’s innovative smartphone and tablet technologies,” added McGee.
Best of Both Worlds
The GALAXY Mega is an ideal choice for customers who want to get the most out of one device. With a 6.3-inch HD LCD screen with landscape mode support, the GALAXY Mega enables an exceptional widescreen view for various applications including web browsing, video, and social networking. The GALAXY Mega is also light and thin for incredible portability and easy, convenient mobile phone use.
Customers can stay connected with a variety of great applications and content suited to the large screen including:
· ‘Samsung Hub’*: Samsung Hub is your one stop shop for movies, books, learning content and games and allows consumers to search and buy across the store with one single sign in.
· ‘Samsung WatchON’^: Transforms your GALAXY Mega into an IR remote controller for your compatible Samsung Smart TV. Connect your GALAXY Mega to your compatible home entertainment system, and it will provide program recommendations, schedules, and even remotely control your Smart TV. WatchON also offers a video on demand service which allows you to search and rent or buy from a range of local and Hollywood films and TV shows. WatchOn offers a personalised service which learns what you like to watch and recommends new movies and TV shows for you to enjoy.
· ‘PLUS7′~: Catch up on your favourite Channel 7 shows wherever you are with the PLUS 7 app.
· ‘Navigon’#: This premium voice-guided navigation application by Garmin comes pre-loaded on the GALAXY Mega with all maps pre-loaded to the SD card. Navigon by Garmin helps turn the GALAXY Mega into a GPS device.
· ‘Group Play’~~: Enables easy content sharing for up to eight devices on the same Wi-Fi network.
· ‘Samsung Link’~~: Easily streams photos, videos, notes, or music to your compatible television, tablet or computer.
· ‘S Translator’**: Say or text what you need translated into the GALAXY Mega, and it will provide translation, using text or voice translation on applications including email and ChatON.
· ‘ChatON’^^: Share what’s on your screen with friends to stay connected, and chat or video call around the world to compatible devices.
· ‘Samsung Apps’##: The app store specifically for Samsung devices; find free and paid apps that have been optimised and selected specifically for the Samsung GALAXY Mega.
Productivity and Multimedia for the Multi-Tasker
GALAXY Mega users can accomplish more with the rich, interactive experience and usability of the widescreen mode. Split screen capability for a variety of applications including email, messages, ‘MyFiles,’ ‘S Memo,’ ‘S Planner’, and more. With the popular ‘Air View’++ feature, customers can preview information in emails, photos in Gallery, and speed dial contacts.
The GALAXY Mega is equipped with an 8 megapixel rear-facing camera with a 1.9 megapixel front-facing camera, along with a variety of camera modes, ‘Sound & Shot’ (captures 9 seconds of sound and voice together as the picture is taken to capture moments), ‘Rich tone’, ‘Sports’, and more.
The GALAXY Mega also packs various newly-introduced features, including:
· ‘S Travel’: Provides trip information, local guides, resources and more.
· ‘Story Album’: Allows customers to create albums of special events and keep special moments in one place using a timeline, geo-tag information and publish digital albums in hard copy.
The Samsung GALAXY Mega runs on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean operating system, and features a Dual Core Processor, spacious internal storage along with up to 64GB of expandable memory to store your favourite apps, music, videos, photos and more. The device’s advanced software also facilitates an efficient processor for long battery life.
Pricing and Availability
The Samsung GALAXY Mega is now available for sale exclusively at selected JB Hi-Fi stores across Australia for RRP $599.00. It will also be made available through the Samsung Experience Stores in Sydney and Melbourne.