Samsung's Galaxy S III gives one user an actual bang for his buck
In an online forum, a man in Ireland who owns a Samsung’s Galaxy S III said that his new handset exploded while charging in his car. While driving, he suddenly noted a “white flame, sparks and a bang” coming from the phone. According to his post, the phone had burned from the inside out, straight through the plastic, melting the case to the phone. Ironically enough, he claimed that the S III continued working, but lacked a signal.
While it’s still unclear whether the issue was caused by the user’s car mount or heating system, Samsung issued a statement in its company blog that it has started an investigation and is working toward providing more details soon. “We are seriously committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking into this seriously,” Samsung also noted in its blog post.
This could be nothing more than a minor hiccup for Samsung, as its 2012 flagship Android-based smartphone has so far been met with an overwhelming number of rave reviews, although some folks--namely avid iPhone users--have been turned off by the plastic casing (which didn't do so well in this series of drop tests).
The Galaxy S III packs quite the punch with its 4.8-inch Super AMOLED screen, 8 megapixel camera, 1.4 GHz processor, 2GB of RAM and Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system.