Mobile World Congress is often an exciting time for smartphone fans, and last month’s show was no exception. In fact, Samsung – as they have done a number of times in the past – announced their latest Galaxy S flagship on the Sunday before the show floor in Barcelona officially opened. We said hello to the new and improved Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge, complete with better battery life, the return of water-resistance and the microSD card slot and a whole lot more that weekend. We knew that Samsung were going to introduce an improved and evolutionary product, rather than reinvent the Galaxy S6 wheel, but what we didn’t expect was the fast turnaround from announcement to launch.
When Samsung announced their latest and greatest pair of flagship Galaxy S smartphones, they also detailed a pre-order date of February 23rd. This is pretty impressive, to say the least, but to then hear that devices would start to ship around the first or second week of March was even more impressive. In fact, some T-Mobile customers are reporting that they’ve already received their Galaxy S7 pre-orders. It’d appear that the Galaxy S7 is smashing records, too. Eldar Murtazin, a prolific leakster who has been right on the money in a number of previous Samsung leaks, has recently tweeted that the Galaxy S7 in smashing records in all 60 of its launch markets, including his home turf of Russia. Speaking of Russia, Murtazin details that 64% of pre-orders were for the Galaxy S7 Edge, the remaining 36% for the Galaxy S7. This isn’t too surprising, but it is good to see that customers are responding well to a new feature like the Edge display.
Official pre-order figures are difficult to come by, especially as Samsung is tough competition with not just everyone else in the Android world, but also Apple. The Cupertino-based company has a long history of twisting figures to their own advantage, and we wouldn’t be surprised if this was one reason Samsung – or anyone else – would want to hold back official numbers. Even so, the device already appears to be a popular one, and for good reason. The new design introduced last year is still going strong, and with better performance, water-resistance and the return of the microSD card slot there’s even more to love this time around.