A hardcore fanbase of consumers will always buy the latest and greatest from Apple. They’re the folks you see lined-up in front of Apple Stores for the company’s major product releases. But what about consumers who are currently tablet-free and ready to climb aboard the slate bandwagon?
dealnews wanted to know, and polled prospective users in the market for their first tablet computer. Will it be the new Retina Display iPad, the holdover iPad 2, or a different platform entirely? Results of the dealnews survey have now been posted along with an infographic outlining what was discovered.
dealnews Features Director Lindsay Sakraida notes that 55% of current iPad owner respondents said they will update to the third generation even though it’s only been a year since the second generation was released, and just two years since the first generation.
However, for tablet first-timers, Sakraida notes that the iPad 2, now priced at $399, is still a contender, and dealnews has already seen it offered as low as $360, making it an extremely enticing option. There are also quite a few Android tablets making waves after CES. So, how many of said tablet-less consumers will still opt for the new iPad?
According to the survey, a whopping 78% of non-tablet owners who are planning on buying their first slate device within the next year said they’ll spring for Apple’s newest offering. And, of the remaining 22 percent who won’t be buying the new iPad, 45% plan on buying the iPad 2 within the next six months mainly because it’s now cheaper.
Lindsay Sakraida says it’s also worth noting that the other half of respondents who say they’ll be giving the new iPad a pass would buy an Android tablet over any Apple iPad. But since this category lumps together all Android models, the iPad 2 comes out ahead, making it the second most popular individual tablet model amongst first-time buyers. And, despite recent accusations about poor working conditions for Apple’s Chinese factory workers, only 3% of respondents said these issues have prevented them from buying the new iPad.