It may not be available for long, but a new screen recording utility has appeared on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. The app, called Vidyo, costs $4.99 and allows users to record their device’s display by simulating an AirPlay Mirroring connection (via MacStories).
Because Viydo simulates an AirPlay Mirroring connection to itself, you are able to record your screen no matter where you go in iOS, including the homescreen and other first and third party apps. It’s relatively easy to work, but it’s definitely a workaround, which is probably how it made it past Apple’s app review team in the first place. To record your display, first go into the Vidyo app, enable the “device capture” setting and exit the app. Then swipe up to access Control Center and choose Vidyo as an AirPlay source.
The app can record in a resolution up to 1080p at 60fps. Audio can also be recorded from your iOS device’s microphone. There are built-in tools for post processing as well, including adding background audio, such as music or commentary. You can also trim clips and merge multiple clips together. Finished videos can be exported to the Camera Roll or shared to online services.
Screen capture functionality is a feature that many iOS users have wished for from the beginning, and one that Apple has always refused to add or allow in the App Store. It’s likely that Vidyo will get removed sooner rather than later, but in the meantime it’s available on the App Store for $4.99.
Vidyo is the ultimate solution to capturing your screen, device audio or in fact any capture input available on your device (eg. camera, mic).
Vidyo captures your entire screen, and/or ALL audio on your device, and even allows you to add commentary and finalise your video all on your device – no computer required. Ideal for uploading directly to video sites such as YouTube.
Vidyo lets you take videos from the camera, record sound from your microphone, or use video or voice already on your device; and then trim, combine/mix and edit these into one final file.
– Capture your device screen no matter which app you are in.
– Capture your device audio (anything that comes out of the speakers) in full original quality.
– Capture from the Microphone, Camera or any other available media input on your device.
– Add background music or commentary to existing videos with full control of mixing volumes.
– Capture new videos and trim them before uploading to online media sites. (on board camera and any other connected and compatible video source)
– Unique new trim control to help you trim audio files with precision.
– Record and manage all your media files from one place.