Ever since I rooted my Nook, and even before I was carting around my HTC Merge, I’ve wanted a menu planning app that does it ALL. I’ve mixed and mingled a few apps together to meet my purpose, but the process doesn’t stay successful for longer than a week due to their non-cohesiveness. So here’s what I (and other menu planners) need from you developers out there..
2. Shopping list generator, like Ziplist- sort by aisle and checkout function, with a pricing option so that you know how much that shopping trip will cost you. In addition, the ability to add single items to shopping lists would be nice..
3. Price Book for shopping list that you could record prices and have a checkout total, like Out of Milk Pro
4. From Check out, the ability to move purchased items to a grocery inventory, like Out of Milk Pro
5. A menu planner calendar where you can add recipes from your storage, like Food Planner, or Meals Matter.
6. App sync online integration, like Out of Milk and Zip List. I currently use web-based Meals Matter and enjoy that, but I’d like to not have to print my shopping list. It does have a pantry list system, but not an easy way of adding or removing items.
In terms of shopping lists, it’s great that you have all these ingredients to make these recipes, but the real sticker shock happens at checkout. Wouldn’t it be great if we had a price book, so that we could have a good approximation of how much our total bill would be?
I’ve searched the Android Market for “menu planner,” “food planner,” and “food inventory,” but none of the apps available now fit the bill. For example, the Food Planner (by Henrik Nielson) looks close, but is missing a few things that Out of Milk Pro fulfills.
Recipe organization is the key to success here. Without folders, it’s difficult to sift through every recipe you’ve ever wanted to try. I use a separate system for keeping track of recipes I want to try using Evernote, and organizing them in online notebooks. It works for a large recipe database; however, it’s overwhelming when looking to plan on a weekly or monthly basis.
I realize this may be a lot to ask of in an Android application. But if it could be done, I do believe individuals including myself would pay for such an app.
So, does this challenge interest any of you developers out there? Anyone have something they’d like to add to this list? Leave a comment below!