Android has another music discovery app for music lovers to check out. WhoSampled, by WhoSampled.com Limited, has apparently been a pretty big hit on iOS for the last couple of years.
WhoSampled offers you a gateway into the music world that goes deeper than helping you find music similar to your tastes. Instead of tossing out like-minded artists for you to listen too, WhoSampled has pieced together a database collection of 270,000 tracks and 95,000 artists. The database drives the results, not by genre or style, but by the music itself. Pointing you to where your favorite Eminem song might have been sampled from before Eminem used it. You also get to dive into where samples from your favorite artists have ended up along with remixes and covers that have been done too. Once you dig in to your artists you can listen to the song or sample via YouTube. WhoSampled even offers up the specific time stamp for where the sample occurs.
Key features of WhoSampled include:
- The ability to go on a journey of musical discovery built around a user’s own music collection. Scan a music library and discover amazing connections for the tracks in it
- Compare tracks side-by-side and listen to full‐length tracks, streamed through YouTube (where available)
- Highly detailed information on any sample (sample timing, sample type, part sampled) lets users pinpoint where the sample was used and compare it with the original
- A “share” feature allowing users to share their amazing finds with their Facebook friends and Twitter followers
- Deep and unique music charts that show trending and top-rated content as well as the all-time most influential artists and tracks
- Engage with the WhoSampled community from within the app; comment on and rate any entry in the WhoSampled database
- A host of other features and functionality including links to buy tracks, personal favorites list plus intelligent contextual recommendations from every sample, cover and remix
WhoSampled dives more into music DNA and inspiration than just simple music discovery.You can search all on your own and peruse much of what the app has to offer without spending a dime or signing up or signing in. , sign-in with Facebook, or create a WhoSampled account. If you do choose to sign-in/sign-up you can then have the app scan your devices music and display your current artists and tracks so you can dig into where it came from and where it might have gone.
Additionally, you are also able to purchase your findings. Either through 7Digital or through the Play Store. Which ever you prefer. The WhoSampled app is free to install and does offer up a small banner ad at the bottom along with the occasional full screen ad. Give it a download and and see where your tunes might have come from and where they have gone off to.