Just how bloated are iOS apps optimized for the iPads’ Retina displays? A lot, and iOS app bloat getting worse at an alarming rate. When the first Retina iPads were rolled out with the
third-generation model in early 2012, it was noted at the time that apps would become bigger with optimization for the ultra high resolution panels. However, just how much bigger sunk in for me
last week when I did a global backup of my iPad to my MacBook Air prior to installing the iOS 7.1.1 update and discovered that of the 13.62GB usable capacity on the nominally 16GB flash drive, 10.9
GB (80.03%) has been used up, leaving only 2.72GB (19.97%) available.
That was an unexpected reality check, since it had taken nearly 2-1/2 years to half–fill the drive, and as recently as six months ago I still had around 7GB of free capacity left. This means that
somehow another 5GB has been mysteriously eaten up, and according to the iTunes backup graphic, most of it is attributable to apps and documents.